Remember back in college when half of your friends opted to study abroad during the summer while you just watched Netflix? This won’t replace your dreams of being a European backpacker, but at least you don’t have to leave your apartment…right? Carcassonne, produced by @Zmangames_ , is a tile-placement game which lets players explore the southeast region of France of the same name.
After traveling down winding roads, passing by ‘cloisters’, and exploring half-built castles, players may experience some the following:
- Standing in the middle of road and being extremely territorial about it
- Laying in any open-grass field, on your left side, like one of your french girls, Jack
- Bumping into your friends at the intersection of hallways… maybe on purpose
- Encountering back-to-back-to-back forks in the road
Need more? Check out the definitive list of food, drink, and music to feature while playing Carcassonne.
- French bread (freshly baked of course) with a small pat of locally churned butter
- Any wine with the name “Château” in the name
- Foie gras, eaten with a striped shirt, red scarf, and beret
Specialty Cocktail: The Faux Sommelier*
- 1 bottle of the driest red wine you can stand
- 1/4 cup brandy
- 2 tbsp of sugar
- 8 cloves
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- 1 tsp. ground coriander
- 1 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp. ground ginger
- 1 orange, peeled and sliced
Put all ingredients into a large pot and bring to a simmer (do not let boil) on low heat. Let simmer for 20-25 minutes allowing ingredients to combine, stirring occasionally. Serve hot.
*If you go full farmer strategy you can only drink beer
RDG’s Carcassonne Playlist will provide you all of the audio you need to provide your friends with a fully immersive south-of-France themed atmosphere to play Carcassonne in!
Feel like you need more before your next game?
Movies and TV to Watch
- Les Misérables if you’re one of the 12 Anne Hathaway and Russell Crowe superfans who also loves musicals
- Amélie for the super romanticist inside you
Other Games to Play