Looking to attract enough birds to call yourself Sandra Bullock and make your way through the apocalypse? Well we have got the perfect simulator for just such an occasion! Wingspan by Stonemaier Games is a card-based engine-builder a la Terraforming Mars. Designed by Elizabeth Hargrave, 1-5 players can expect to be completely entranced by the 170 unique bird cards that all feature their own art (quickly pushing the 40-70 minute play time up if you start gawking). Unfortunately for Sandra and co., this game is best played unblindfolded as the unique art brings you into incredible habitats filled with North American birds.
After a few flights, players may experience the following:
- Utter conviction that you must order your meal the second a waiter greets your table for fear of your first choice of meal being sold out soon.
- Astronomically increased production of colored eggs during Easter.
- A noted willingness to break ketosis if there is a lot of bread around.
- The inability to accept that a dice roll is truly random if players aren’t using your handy birdhouse dicetower.
- The addition of your handy birdhouse dicetower at every game night, whether you’re playing Wingspan or not.
Need more? Check out the definitive list of food, drink, and music to feature while playing Wingspan.
- Grapes, Currants, Dried Cranberries, Cherries, Blueberries for people that like fruit
- Birdseed Bread for your one friend that isn’t on a keto diet
- Sour gummy worms and Swedish Fish to appease the sweet tooth
- Cuy (A Peruvian delicacy)
Specialty Cocktail: The Aviation
- 1.5 oz of Aviation gin
- .5 oz of lemon juice
- .75 oz of Luxardo (Maraschino Liqueur)
- .25 oz of Creme de Violette
Add all ingredients to a shaker with ice. Shake vigorously. Strain into a cocktail glass. Garnish with a maraschino cherry, a sour gummy worm, and a Swedish Fish
RDG’s Wingspan Playlist will provide you all of the audio you need to provide your friends with a fully immersive bird themed atmosphere to play Wingspan in!
Feel like you need more before your next game?
Movies and TV to Watch
Other Games to Play
- Terraforming Mars if you like the unique cards and engine building
- Root if you want more cute animals (including, but not limited to birds) but an entirely different game experience
- Angry Birds if you like to mindlessly “appreciate” bird art